Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Turn inexpensive glass ornaments into something unique using Pen-touch® Markers and acrylic paint. Personalize ornaments with the recipient’s name or pair simple designs with bright paint for a real “WOW” factor. The paint-like Pen-touch is easy to use and gives rich opaque results.
- Clear glass ornaments
- Sakura Pen-touch® Black Paint Marker
- Acrylic paint
- Empty egg carton (optional)
plastic straw, toothpick, scrap paper
Remove hanger/cover from top of ornament.
Pour small amount of paint into ornament, taking care not to get any on outside of ornament. (Note: Depending on size of paint bottle spout and ornament opening, it may be helpful to use a plastic straw as a funnel. An empty egg carton works great to hold ornaments as you work.)
Roll ornament to distribute paint as desired along inside areas.
Use plastic straw or toothpick to pop any air bubbles.
Replace the hanger/cover on top of ornament.
Sketch doodles on scrap paper to determine desired design.
Using sketch as guide, decorate outside of ornament using Pen-touch Paint Markers. (Note: The permanent, opaque ink gives a glossy finish that writes beautifully on glass. Regular permanent markers will not give the same opaque results as this valve action paint marker.)
Personalize ornaments with your favorite pattern, year, or names of family members. Journal favorite memories and add new ones each Christmas.
- For this project, cheaper acrylic paint is better. Less expensive brands are thinner and spread more easily.
- Clear glass ornaments can be found almost anywhere during the holidays, including most dollar stores.
- Click here or on the Sakura of America advertisement below for a video of this fun project.
by Maureen Wilson for Sakura of America (www.sakuraofamerica.com)