Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Stiffening stitching cloth is a great way to turn a simple design into a sturdy wearable. Don’t be without a handmade sign of your American pride this Memorial Day!
- White 14-count Aida cloth, 4”x5”
- DMC 6-Strand Embroidery Floss
- Bar pin, 1” long
- Iron, pressing cloth, and pressing surface
- Beacon Adhesives Sparkling Stiffen Stuff Spray Fabric Stiffener
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
- Cross-stitch: 2 strands
Size / Stitch Count
Approximate size is 2-5/8″x1-5/8″; Stitch Count: 38W x 24 H
1. To find center, fold cloth in half and in half again opposite way. Mark center with contrasting thread. Print chart and key. (Note: The blue words “chart” and “key” are links. To access these, select the link, then download and print items.) Use two strands of floss to cross-stitch design. Press from back through pressing cloth.
2. Trim fabric to 1⁄2” from stitched area. Spray front and back with stiffener; let dry. Trim fabric to 1⁄8” from stitched area.
3. Adhere pin to back.
by Ursula Michael