Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Everyone gets to be Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! This charming painted leprechaun sign is a fun and easy project that’s sure to get your family and friends in the St. Paddy’s Day spirit!
- Chalkboard with unfinished wooden frame, 7″x10″
- Wooden items: heart, 1/8” thick, 4-1/2” across; round head plug, 1/2” diameter; teardrops, 1/16” thick, 2” long, two; rectangles, 1/16” thick, 1/2”x1”, two; craft spoons, two; jumbo craft sticks, two
- DecoArt American Acrylic Paints: White Wash, Olive Green, True Red, Bright Green, Dark Pine, Gingerbread, Lamp Black, Mocha
- DecoArt Emperor’s Gold Dazzling Metallic Paint
- Green craft foam, 3-1/2”x4”
- Green satin ribbon, 1”-wide, 1/2 yd.
- Lime green iridescent pom-pom, 1”
- Permanent markers: dual-tip (fine/bullet) black, green; extra-fine-tip opaque white
- Ultra-fine iridescent glitter
- Sawtooth hanger
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, pencil, ruler, paintbrush, hammer
(Note: Use photo and patterns as guides throughout.)
1. Print patterns. (Note: The blue word “patterns” is a link. To access these patterns, select the link, then download and print patterns.) Transfer details, except face and ears, to heart. Paint head as follows: face Mocha, hair Gingerbread, collar and hat band White Wash, hat Bright Green. Drybrush edges of head with Dark Pine. Paint head plug (nose) Mocha. Transfer remaining details to head. Drybrush cheeks, nose, and inside ears with True Red. Dot cheeks White Wash. Draw eyes with bullet-tip black marker; draw smile and other stitch details with fine tip.
2. Transfer patterns to craft spoons (arms), craft sticks (legs), and rectangles (buckles). To make body, draw a horizontal line across one narrow end of chalkboard frame 2-3/4” down from top for waist; draw 1/2” wide vertical straps 1/2” in from each side. Paint as follows: hands Mocha, leggings and cuffs White Wash, shirt and sleeves Olive Green, overalls and tops of legs Bright Green. Paint bottom of legs and teardrops (shoes) Lamp Black. Paint rectangles (buckles) Lamp Black and Emperor’s Gold. Drybrush edges of body, arms, legs, shoes, and buckles with Dark Pine. Brush thin layer of craft glue over hat band, collar, and cuffs; sprinkle with glitter. Let dry.
3. Transfer pattern details to hands, reversing for right hand. Draw stitch details on overalls, arms, and legs with fine-tip black marker. Draw rounded uneven lines on leggings with bullet-tip green marker. Draw vertical lines on shirt and sleeves with fine-tip green marker. Transfer words to center of chalkboard. Using white marker, draw words and stitch line around chalkboard close to edge.
4. Transfer shamrock to green craft foam; cut out. Drybrush edges with Dark Pine. Dot with White Wash.
5. Adhere nose to face, head to top of body, arms to back of chalkboard, shoes to front of legs, and buckles to front of shoes. Adhere assembled legs to back of body. Adhere pom-pom to left side of hat. Adhere shamrock to hand on left. Let dry. Tie ribbon in a bow; cut ends in inverted “V”. Adhere bow to center of collar. Using hammer, attach sawtooth hanger to center top back of body.
- Use same pattern to create a Christmas elf in red and green. Make a matching ornament from craft foam.
- For a simpler version, paint the chalkboard and adhere only the shamrock to it.
- Instead of a sign, make a leprechaun photo frame for a proud Irish friend.
by Mary Ayres