Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Tom Turkey and mate Mary are so clever to disguise themselves as pilgrims during Thanksgiving! Both little turkeys are easy to make and the perfect decorations for your Thanksgiving table.
- Wooden stars (feet), 1-1/4” wide, four
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Ball (head), 1-1/2”, two
- Brown print fabric, 1/4 yard
- Felt scraps: gold, cranberry
- Silk autumn leaves, six
- Wiggle eyes, 8mm, four
- Black satin ribbon, 1⁄4” wide, 1/2 yard
- For Tom Turkey only: Black felt, 6” square; Wimpole Street white heart-shaped doily, 2” wide; Gold ribbon, 1⁄4” wide, 4-3⁄4” length; Ivory buttons, 7⁄16”, two
- For Mary Turkey only: White felt, 1-1⁄4”x3-3⁄4”; Wimpole Street white Battenburg doily, 3” across
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Dark Chocolate, Primary Yellow
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Black fine-tip permanent marker
- Needle and thread
- Beacon Adhesives Kids Choice Glue, Gem-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, ruler, circle template, paintbrush
1. Print and cut out patterns. Cut felt as indicated.
2. For body, cut 7” circle from brown print fabric. Sew gathering stitch around circle, leaving 1⁄4” border. Stuff circle; pull up gathers tightly and stitch opening closed.
3. Slightly flatten bottom of 1-1/2” ball (head). Basecoat head Dark Chocolate and feet Primary Yellow; let dry. Using marker, draw dashed line near edge of feet.
4. Adhere wattle, beak, and eyes to face. Adhere heart doily, head, and feet to body. Cut 8” length of ribbon; tie black bow. Adhere bow to neck. Adhere leaves together, then to back of body.
5. Cut slits in hat as indicated. Adhere gold ribbon to long brim edge, then brim ends together, slightly overlapping edges. Adhere hat top to brim, brim to hat, hat to head, and buttons to body.
1. For Mary Turkey, repeat Steps 1-4, using Battenburg doily for Step 4.
2. Adhere white felt hat to head as shown.
by Helen Rafson