Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Simple stitched details on a holiday card say how much you care. Spread the holiday cheer by sprucing up your season’s greetings to family and friends.
- Cardstock: white, red chevron textured, light green Swiss dot textured
- Ribbon, red, 2” length
- Silver brad
- Contrasting all-purpose thread
- VIVO™ by SINGER® Create & Repair Machine
- Ornament Punch, 1-1/2”
paper trimmer, ruler, scissors, pencil
Cut 8-1/2”x5-1/2” red cardstock rectangle; score at 4-1/4” to make 5-1/2”x4-1/4” top-fold card.
Cut 2-1/2”x3-1/2” white cardstock panel and 2-1/4”x3-1/4” light green cardstock panel. Notch bottom edge of white and green cardstock to create flag shape as shown.
Punch ornament into green cardstock as shown.
Lay green flag on top of white and lightly mark position of ornament opening.
Cut 2” length of ribbon. Position ribbon in center of marking.
Set VIVO™ Create & Repair Machine for straight stitch. Thread top of machine and bobbin with all-purpose thread in color that contrasts cardstock. Carefully stitch top and bottom of ribbon in place. (Note: The presser foot will guide cardstock evenly while stitching.)
Backstitch at beginning and end of stitching to help secure thread in place. (Note: Backstitching is done by reversing a few stitches on top of machine stitches at beginning or end of a line of machine sewing.)
Open card and lay flat. Position both flags flush to top edge of card fold as shown; sew straight stitch at 1/4” and 3/8” from scored fold line across top of flags.
Remove card from machine. Trim thread tails.
Pierce hole for brad placement in center of ornament ribbon; insert brad. Re-fold card.
- The more slowly you sew, the more control you will have guiding the cardstock while stitching.
- Want to learn more about the VIVO™ by SINGER® Create & Repair Machine? Click here to view a video for information and other helpful basic sewing information.
by SINGER® (www.singerco.com)