Craft Ideas Craft of the Day
With this winter welcome, you’ll have visitors in abundance and your home will be filled with friends helping to make the season enjoyable.
- Birch, veneer, or pine wood, 1⁄4” thick, 8”x10”
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Gold, Cashmere Beige, Sable Brown, Light Avocado, Sand, Antique White, Hauser Dark Green, Moon Yellow, Uniform Blue, Burnt Sienna, Lamp Black, Rookwood Red
- Fabric of choice, 1”x5”
- Black wire, 20-gauge, 16” length
- Scroll saw
- Drill with 1⁄16” bit
- Royal & Langnickel Paintbrushes: Flat, Series 2700, 3⁄4”, 1”; Angular, Series 2160, 1⁄4”; Liner, Series 2595, 10/0; Stippler, Series 650, 1⁄4”
- Walnut wood stain
- Spray sealer
- Black extra-fine-tip permanent marker
- Craft glue
scissors, transfer paper, pencil, soft cloth, sandpaper, newspaper (to cover work surface)
1. Print and cut out patterns. (Note: The blue word “patterns” is a link. To access these patterns, select the link, then download and print.) Cut wood as indicated. Drill holes where indicated. Sand all sides of wood; wipe dust with soft cloth. Apply stain; let dry.
2. Transfer details (except lettering).
3. Paint the following: girl’s face and hands Cashmere Beige, shade Sable Brown; snowmen, girl’s hat brim, and tassel Sand; inside of sign Antique White; outside of sign Uniform Blue; girl’s hat and shirt and highlight dots on hat and tassel Light Avocado; one mitten Hauser Dark Green; other mitten Rookwood Red; snowman noses Burnt Sienna; girl’s hair Moon Yellow, shade Antique Gold; squiggles on hat and shirt, snowflakes on mittens, and highlight dots on sign border Sand. Drybrush cheeks with combination of Rookwood Red and Sand.
4. Sand corners for “aged” look. Apply stain; let dry.
5. Dot eyes and lettering Lamp Black. Adhere snowmens’ mittens and noses, girl’s hands, and hat brim with hair to sign. Add details with marker. Apply sealer; let dry.
6. Insert wire through holes for hanger; twist ends to secure. Tie fabric into bow at top of hanger.
by Cheryl Seslar