Craft Ideas Craft of the Day
These two frosty fellows are sure to add cheer to your winter décor and brighten even the dreariest of days.
- Wood felt: white, 3/8 yd.; red, green, black, 1/8 yd.
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Orange wool roving
- Buttons: white, 3/8” to 1/2”, six; red, 1/2” to 5/8”, two
- Black perle cotton, #12
- Needles: felting; embroidery
- Sewing machine and white thread
7-1/2″ and 10-1/2″ tall
Print and cut out pattern. (Note: Use one strand of perle cotton for French knots and running stitches.)
1. Enlarge pattern 120%. Cut two snowman shapes from white felt, using the lower of two bottom lines for large snowman.
2. Transfer eye and mouth dots to one snowman shape following pattern. Make French knots on dots, wrapping thread around needle three times for each knot. Sew white buttons to dots on body. Roll tiny piece of orange wool roving into circle, place it in center of face, and punch with needle tool to attach for nose.
3. Pin snowman shapes together with right sides facing out. Sew a machine straight stitch around snowman 1/4” from edges, leaving bottom open. Trim seam allowance 1/8” from stitching.
4. Stuff snowman firmly at top and less firm at bottom. Cut 4” circle from white felt. Pin to bottom opening of snowman. Sew running stitch 1/8” from edges of circle and snowman bottom to attach
5. Cut 1”x18” strip from red felt for scarf. Wrap scarf around snowman’s neck and tie on left side. Cut fringe at ends of scarf.
6. To make hat, cut 1-1/2”x4” strip from black felt. Using running stitch, sew short ends together 1/8” from edges to make tube. Cut 1-1/2” circle from black felt. Sew circle around top of felt tube.
7. To make hat brim, cut 2” circle from black felt and cut 1-1/4” circle from center. Sew inside edge of circle to bottom of hat. Sew greenery and red button to left side of hat with black thread. Sew hat to top of head to secure it.
Follow same basic instructions as large snowman, using actual size of pattern and cutting the upper of two bottom lines for small snowman. Cut 3/4”x15” strip from green felt for scarf, and from black felt cut 1”x3-1/2” strip for side of hat, 1-1/8” circle for top, and 1-3/4” circle with 1” circle cut from center for brim. Sew greenery and red button to left side of hat.
by Mary Ayres