Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Make someone’s holiday merry and bright with this stunning handcrafted Christmas Tree Card made with Polyform Sculpey Clay.
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Accents Clay: Red Glitter, Blue Pearl, Bright Green Pearl
- Blank white card and envelope, 5”x7”
- Unlined index card, 5”x7”
- Cardstock: red, gold, blue
- Coordinating striped paper
- “Oh Christmas Tree” sticker or rub-on
- Small rhinestone star
- Polyform Sculpey Tools: Clay Conditioning Machine, 5-in-1 Tool Kit, Texture Maker Swirls
- Oven and baking sheet
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
ruler, water spray bottle, paper towel
(Note: Start with clean hands and work surface. Good work surfaces include waxed paper, metal baking sheet, or disposable foil. Knead clay until soft and smooth. For best results, clean hands between colors. Shape clay, pressing pieces together firmly. Bake on oven-proof glass or metal surface at 275° F for 30 minutes per 1/4” of thickness. For best baking results, use an oven thermometer. Do not use microwave oven. Do not exceed the above temperature or recommended baking time. Wash hands after use.)
1. Preheat oven to 275° F. Test temperature with oven thermometer for perfectly cured clay.
2. For best results, condition all clay by running it through Clay Conditioning Machine several passes on widest setting. Fold clay in half after each pass and insert folded side into rollers first.
3. With Clay Conditioning Machine on setting #3, roll green clay into sheet. Place clay onto index card. Spritz raised side of Texture Maker plate with water and press onto clay. Blot excess water from clay with paper towel.
4. Download and print pattern. Place tree pattern onto textured clay and cut out using knife from 5-in-1 Tool.
5. Roll tiny balls of blue and red clays for Christmas ornaments and press onto tree. Bake as directed above. Let cool completely.
6. Cut 7”x5” striped paper panel; adhere to card front.
7. Cut 4-1/2”x4” red, 4”x3-1/2” gold, and 3-1/2”x3” blue cardstock panels. Layer and adhere panels to card front as shown.
8. Apply sentiment sticker or rub-on to bottom of blue cardstock. Adhere clay tree above sentiment. Adhere rhinestone star to top of tree. Let dry several hours or overnight before mailing
This card requires post office to hand stamp and may also require extra postage to mail.
by Sandy Rollinger for Polyform Products (www.sculpey.com)