Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
This cozy tote is perfect for all your little essentials. It’s fuzzy. It’s fun. And it’s oh-so-easy to make!
- Wool felt: light blue, 1⁄2 yard; white, grey, scraps
- White flat buttons, 1⁄2″, five
- Black beads, 1⁄8″, six
- Bright blue 6-strand embroidery floss
- Black pearl cotton
- Cardboard, 2-1⁄2″x8-3⁄4″ (optional)
- Embroidery needle
- Beacon Adhesives Liqui-Fuse
scissors, ruler, clothes dryer
(Note: Use three strands floss for all blanket stitching and one strand pearl cotton for all stem stitching.)
1. Wet felt; dry in dryer for “crinkly” look. (Note: For best results, wet colors separately and wring out excess water before placing in dryer.)
2. Cut the following light blue rectangles: two 8″x9″ (front and back); two 3″x8″ (sides); 3″x9″ (bottom); two 1″x8″ (handles). Print pattern. Cut snowman (in one piece) from white and scarf from grey.
3. Use Liqui-Fuse to adhere snowman and scarf to front of bag. Transfer details. Blanket stitch around snowman edges and over scarf. Stem stitch mouth and arms. Use pearl cotton to sew beads to eyes, nose, and chest. Use floss to sew button to scarf.
4. Blanket stitch sides to bottom ends and front and back to side/bottom strip with right sides facing out. Blanket stitch across top edges of bag.
5. Fold handle in half lengthwise; blanket stitch along raw edge. Use floss to sew buttons to handle ends, attaching them to top front and back of bag, 2-1⁄2″ from sides.
To make bag stand, place cardboard rectangle in bottom of bag.
by Mary Ayres