Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Wrap foam balls with holiday socks or tights to create ornaments with cozy appeal.
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Balls, 3”
- Holiday socks, one per ornament
- White cording
- Satin ribbon, 3/8” wide
- Felt scraps
- Assorted embellishments: pearl-head pins, sequins, tiny pom-poms, etc.
- Wooden chopstick or skewer
- Straight pins
- White craft glue
(Note: Omit straight pins and dimensional embellishments from ornaments if small children will have access to ornaments.)
1. Use chopstick to hollow out large hole at center top and bottom of foam ball. Rotate chopstick outward so holes are slightly wider at surface of ball.
2. Cut toe from sock. Insert ball into toeless sock so 1/2” of fabric extends beyond bottom of ball. (Note: Easiest way to do this is to hold ball in hand and pull sock up over hand and arm until ball is covered; slide hand from sock.)
3. Apply glue into hole in bottom of ball. Push cut edges of sock firmly into hole using pointed end of chopstick. Pin fabric in place until glue dries; remove pins.
4. Pull sock up over ball so fabric is tight and smooth up to top. Cut away sock’s ankle so 1/2” of fabric extends above top of ball. Repeat Step 3 for top of ball.
5. If desired, cut felt embellishments to complement sock designs, such as penguin’s scarf; glue to ornaments. Let dry.
6. Apply glue to ends of pearl-head pins; insert into ornament. Add sequins to some pins before inserting into ornaments. Let dry.
7. Cut 8” cord length for hanger; knot ends. Apply glue to end of straight pin and insert through knot into ornament. Tie small ribbon bow; adhere to top of ornament over pin. Let dry.
Try this technique with non-holiday socks, too; it’s a great way to get rid of all those lone socks sitting atop the dryer.