Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
This whimsical snowman can’t wait to wish someone a Merry Christmas with a scrumptious chocolate hug! After all, who doesn’t like a nice warm cup of hot cocoa on a cold winter’s night.
- Glass pint jar with lid
- Craft foam: white, one sheet; brown, green, orange, scraps
- Fabric of choice, 2”x18”
- Cocoa mix
- EK Success Zig Memory System Millennium Markers: Pink, Blue, Green, Brown
- Black fine-tip permanent marker
- Small stencil brushes, four
- Beacon Adhesives Kid’s Choice! Glue
scissors, pencil, ruler
1. Cut out patterns. Cut craft foam as indicated. (Note: Use long, smooth strokes when cutting foam and turn foam instead of scissors as you cut.) Remove jar lid and trace onto white foam; cut out.
2. Use bullet tip of pens to shade edges of foam. While ink is still wet, use stencil brush to blend and shade toward center. Shade snowman with Blue, nose and trunk with Brown, and tree with Green. Drybrush cheeks with stencil brush and Pink pen.
3. Transfer details to face and lettering to foam circle. Use black marker to draw details. Fill in eyes, draw eyebrows, and outline foam pieces with wiggly lines. Trace over lettering as shown.
4. Adhere foam circle to lid. Adhere nose to snowman and trunk to back of tree. Place rubber band around jar. Position snowman’s arms under rubber band. Slide tree in between snowman’s hands. Spot glue hands to tree using rubber band to secure until glue dries.
5. Tie fabric around neck, knot, and cut fringe at ends. Remove rubber band and fill jar with cocoa mix
Use brown craft foam to make a gingerbread jar hugger. Fill with gingerbread mix and a cookie cutter or mulling spices.
by Barbara Matthiessen