Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Adorable, easy-to-paint wooden snowmen can be displayed or reused throughout the winter season.
- Midwest Products Co., Inc. Basswood: 3/16”x3/8”x24”, 1/8”x3”x24”
- Glossy royal blue gift bag
- White cardstock
- Papers: black-and-white gingham, blue-and-white snowflake print
- Small black brads, 18
- Black alphabet stickers
- Black-and-white gingham ribbon
- Drill with bits: 1/16”, 3/16”
- Midwest Products Co., Inc. Easy Cutter Tool
- Acrylic paints: white, black, orange
- Black dye ink pad
- Adhesives: paper glue, glue gun and glue sticks, Plaid Paper Mod Podge
paper trimmer, scissors, ruler, pencil, black fine-tip marker, fine-grit sandpaper, foam brush, round paintbrush
1. Cut three 4-1/2” lengths from wide basswood strip. Cut one 6” length from same piece for tag. Cut two corners from 6” piece to create tag shape; set aside.
2. Cut three 4” lengths from narrow basswood strip. Cut three corners from remainder of same piece for snowman noses.
3. Sand all pieces. Using round brush, paint 4-1/2” pieces white, 4” pieces black, and noses orange. Let dry.
4. Cut three 3”x2-1/2” gingham paper pieces. Adhere pieces to top half of each white snowman for hats. Adhere black wooden hat bands across snowmen as shown; let dry.
5. Using drill and 1/16” bit, drill four holes for mouth and two holes for eyes in each snowman. Insert brads; bend ends at back to secure. Adhere nose to face. Draw eyebrows with marker.
6. Cut three 2-1/2”x1-1/2” white cardstock strips; ink edges and adhere to hats.
7. Ink bottom edges of snowmen.
1. Make 5”x6-1/2” white side-fold card. Cut 5”x6-1/2” snowflake paper panel; adhere to card.
2. Adhere snowman to center of card using glue gun.
3. Cut three 5” ribbon lengths; adhere two lengths to top and bottom of card. Knot remaining length in center; adhere beneath snowman’s chin.
4. Apply stickers to white cardstock to spell “Winter Wishes.”
1. Trace basswood tag onto back of snowflake paper; cut out paper tag and adhere to wood tag using Mod Podge and foam brush. Let dry. Ink tag edges.
2. Using drill and 3/16” bit, drill hole in top of tag.
3. Adhere snowman to center of tag using glue gun.
4. Cut two 5” ribbon lengths. Thread one length through hole in tag; knot ends together. Knot remaining length in center; adhere beneath snowman’s chin.
5. Apply stickers to white cardstock to spell “to” and “from.”
1. Cut 4”x5” snowflake paper panel; ink edges and adhere to gift bag.
2. Adhere snowman to center of snowflake paper using glue gun.
3. Cut 6” ribbon length. Knot center and adhere beneath snowman’s chin.
4. Apply stickers to white cardstock to spell “For You.”
Adhere a magnet to the back of the snowman before adhering to surface with double-sided tape. Recipient can add it to the fridge for a fun winter decoration.
by Melony Bradley for Midwest Products (www.midwestproducts.com)