Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Add some pizzazz to your New Year’s festivities by donning these easy-to-make party hats. Perfect for any party, these hats will add energy and fun to your kids’ New Year’s celebration.
- Recycled clear plastic tub (Designer used sherbet container.)
- Paper plate, 9”
- Print paper: purple or green
- Cardstock or construction paper: yellow, pink, orange, lime green, lavender
- White chenille stems, eight, 6” lengths
- Hot pink feather boa
- Ribbon, 20” lengths: lime green, orange, yellow, pink, purple, fuchsia, bright pink
- Pom-poms, four each: hot pink, lime green
- Glitter: pink or blue
- White cording, four 30” lengths
- Number stamps
- Black inkpad
- Decorative-edge scissors
- Hole punch
- API Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate! Glue
scissors, ruler, sponge scrap
Use hole punch to punch holes on either side of tub edge. Insert cord lengths through holes; knot ends around top edge.
For hat brim, cut center from paper plate. Position plate over top of tub; adhere edges.
Cut 2-1/2”-wide print strips from paper and adhere around hat.
Use black inkpad and number stamp to stamp “2013” on cardstock. Use decorative-edge scissors to cut out numbers, forming squares. Use sponge scrap to apply glue on edges of squares. While still wet, sprinkle with glitter.
Bend ends of four chenille stems into coils. Adhere pom-poms on ends of coils. Adhere number squares on ends of other four chenille stems. Adhere chenille stems on front of hat.
Adhere boa around hat. Tie ribbon bow; glue on front of hat.
Measure and cut 20” ribbon lengths. Bundle lengths in center; tie knot. Adhere ribbon bundle on front of hat.
by Mary Ayres