Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Winter usually brings snow… and soon snowmen will pop up everywhere throughout the neighborhood! Paint this adorable Snowman Candle Jar centerpiece to decorate your table and celebrate the winter season!
- Glass items: quart jar, flower pot votive candle holder
- Wooden teardrop, medium
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paints: Black, Tangerine, Antique Rose, Antique White
- Fabrics: green/tan checked, 1”x24”; green/tan/mauve checked, 6” circle
- Black felt, 6-1⁄2” circle
- Pine sprigs, 1”-2” long, six
- Mauve beaded branches, 2” to 2-1⁄2” long, four
- Mauve berry pick, 2” long
- Jute twine, 22” length
- Votive candle
- All-purpose sealer
- Black permanent marker
- Liner brush
- Adhesives: Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue, hot glue gun and sticks
scissors, ruler, pencil, sponge, paintbrush, sandpaper, soft cloth, rubber band
Wash and dry jar. Use sponge to apply sealer to entire outside surface; let dry. Sponge paint jar rim Black and remaining areas Antique White. Basecoat nose Tangerine. Sand nose edges; wipe dust with soft cloth.
Print pattern; transfer face to jar and details to nose. Drybrush cheeks Antique Rose. Paint eyes, eyebrows, lines under eyes, and mouth Black. Use liner brush to add White highlight strokes to cheeks and to add highlight dots to eyes and cheeks. Use marker to trace nose details.
For base, turn jar upside down. Apply craft glue around jar bottom, 1” from edge. Center fabric circle over jar; position rubber band over circle to gather. Let dry, remove rubber band, and tie twine around fabric. Return jar to upright position.
For hat, apply craft glue around jar rim. Cut 1-1⁄2” circle from center of felt circle. Center circle over jar; position rubber band over circle to gather. Let dry, remove rubber band, and tie fabric strip around felt.
Use hot glue gun to glue pine sprigs, beaded branches, and berries to hat as desired. Insert votive candle into holder and place holder in jar.
by Linda Bauer