Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Recycling brown paper bags has its advantages – especially when you create this sparkling snow friend!
- Large brown paper bag
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paints: Light Ivory, Charcoal, Dark Goldenrod, Tomato Spice
- Fiberfill stuffing
- Black craft wire, 36” length
- Red/white plaid wire-edged ribbon (scarf), 1-1/4” wide, 15-1/2” length
- Cedar sprigs, three
- Twigs (arms), 2-1/2” long, two
- Artificial red berry cluster
- Raffia, three strands
- Gold jingle bell, 13mm
- Red buttons, 1/2”, three
- Loew-Cornell American Painter Paintbrushes: Wash, Series 4550, 1/2”; Round, Series 4000, #3; Liner, Series 4350, #0; Deerfoot Stippler, 1/4” or 3/8”
- Matte interior spray varnish
- Glitter: Iridescent crystal glitter, DecoArt Glamour Dust Ultra-Fine Crystal Glitter
- Black fine-tip marker
- Paper adhesive
1. Print and cut out pattern. Cut snowman from bag as indicated. Adhere edges of snowman pieces together, leaving top 5” open.
2. Basecoat snowman Light Ivory. Transfer details. Paint nose Dark Goldenrod. Dot eyes and mouth Charcoal. Use deerfoot stippler to drybrush cheeks Tomato Spice. Use liner and Light Ivory to add highlight dots to eyes, cheeks, and nose. Use black fine-tip marker to draw eyebrows and outline nose. Apply varnish to snowman; sprinkle with glitters. Let dry.
3. Stuff bag with fiberfill. Use paintbrush handle to stuff bottom areas. Adhere arms inside body and remaining edges together. Wrap scarf around neck, crossing and adhering at center. Adhere cedar sprigs and berries to scarf and buttons to body.
4. For hanger, wrap wire around pencil to curl. Twist ends around arms to secure. Tie raffia bow at top of hanger. Adhere jingle bell to bow.
by Susan Cousineau