Some of you may have heard that Punxsutawney Phil (the famous Pennsylvania groundhog) predicted an early spring for 2013. Well, since I was born on Groundhog Day, and grew up in Pennsylvania, I feel it is my duty to predict an early spring as well. (For what it’s worth, neither Phil nor I have any weather-predicting abilities!) What I can do is share with you a spring project, which is a perfect way to fight off the winter blues!
I created this pretty, spring-themed card for display at the latest CHA event and wanted to give you the step-by-step directions for making one of your own! I used the new Graphic 45 Place in Time monthly Cut-Aparts for this project. You will need two sheets of the March paper to make this card.
1. Make a 5″x5″ black top-fold card.
2. Trim lavender cardstock to 4-7/8″x4-7/8″ and set aside.
3. Cut one piece of the green floral paper to 4-1/4″x4-3/4″. Cut a second piece to approximately 2″x4-3/4″. Adhere the two pieces to the lavender cardstock, overlapping to form a 4-3/4″ square. (Note: To create the 4-3/4″x4-3/4″ green floral panel, you need to combine two pieces of the printed paper. You will notice that the back of each Cut-Aparts sheet has three printed designs. None of them is wide enough to cut a 4-3/4″ square. You have to get creative!)
4. Wrap green ribbon and cream lace around the panel to hide the seam. Adhere the ribbon and lace to the back of the panel, and then adhere the panel to the card front. (Note: We will add a bow later.)
5. Trim black cardstock to 4-1/2″x3-1/4″. Trim lavender checked paper to 4-3/8″x3-1/8″ and then adhere it to the black cardstock mat. Adhere the panel to the card front as shown.
6. Adhere three pale lavender pearls to the upper right edge of the lavender panel. (Note: You can color white or cream pearls with alcohol inks or pens to match your paper.)
7. Trim black cardstock to 2-3/4″x3-5/8″. Trim lavender and cream floral paper to 2-5/8″x3-1/2″ and then adhere it to the black cardstock mat. Adhere the panel to the card front as shown.
8. From the second sheet of March Cut-Aparts paper, trim the bird image as shown. Mat the image with black cardstock.
9. Stamp a sentiment onto cream cardstock and trim to desired size. Using small circle punch, punch top corners of sentiment strip to add interest. Adhere the sentiment to the left edge of the bird image.
10. Adhere the image to the card front using foam tape.
11. Trim one postage image from the Cut-Aparts paper and tuck it under the lower right edge of the bird image, as shown.
12. Using green ribbon, tie a bow and adhere it to the card front as shown.
14. Use glue to adhere a few flowers and leaves to the center of the bow as shown.
15. Cut two pieces of cream cardstock to 4-7/8″x4-7/8″ and add to the inside of the card.
16. Decorate the inside with images cut from the March Cut-Aparts paper as shown.
- Graphic 45 Place in Time Collection March Cut-Aparts Paper
- Cardstock: Bazzill Basics Paper Heather, Butter Cream; American Crafts Black
- Tsukineko Memento Tuxedo Black Ink Pad
- Waltzing Mouse Spring Baskets Stamp Set
- Really Reasonable Ribbon Trims: Green Satin Ribbon, Cream Crocheted Lace
- Wild Orchid Crafts Flowers
- Creative Charms Pearls
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting System
- My Favorite Things Die-namics Mini Tabs Quartet Dies
- Really Reasonable Ribbon Bow Easy Tool
- Adhesives: 3M Scotch Brand Double-Sided Tape, Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive, Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L 3D Foam Squares
I hope this card puts you in a springtime mood!
Gloria Stengel, Scraps of Life (www.gloriascraps.blogspot.com)