Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Black and white accents are all the rage! Update your living room décor with this chic wool felt bird pillow.
- Wool felt: white, 3/8 yd.; black, 1/4 yd.
- Pillow form, 12” square
- Black satin piping, 1-1/2 yds.
- Black embroidery floss
- Sewing machine and black thread
- Beacon Adhesives Fabri-Tac Permanent Adhesive
scissors, ruler, straight pins
1. For pillow front and back, cut two 13” white felt squares. Print and cut out patterns. (Note: The blue word “patterns” is a link. To access these patterns, select the link, then download and print patterns.) Cut materials as indicated.
2. Use photo as guide to free-hand cut and arrange black felt strips on front for tree branches, overlapping and trimming as needed. Place bird on branch close to center. Place leaves along branches. (Note: Edges of leaves should not be closer than 1” to edge of pillow.) Apply small dabs of glue under black felt shapes to secure to white felt before embroidering.
3. Use two strands black floss to blanket stitch around edges of bird and leaves, and over branches.
4. Pin and sew piping around pillow front, 1/2” from edge, beginning and ending in a corner; remove pins. Sew pillow front to back with right sides together along piping stitching, leaving 10” open at bottom. Trim corners; turn right side out. Insert form into pillow. Hand sew opening closed.
by Mary Ayres