Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
You don’t have to be Irish to have a St. Patrick’s Day party. This party favor is so quick and easy that even a last-minute party planner will have enough time to make dozens. You may not have the rainbow, but you can give your guests their own pots of gold!
- Clay pot, 1-1⁄2” diameter
- Wooden hearts: 1⁄16” thick, 7⁄8” across, three
- Green craft-foam, scrap
- Acrylic paints: green, white
- Gold glitter paint
- Gold foil-covered candies, enough to fill pot
- Matte acrylic spray sealer
- Black fine-point permanent marker
- Tracing paper
- Glue gun and sticks or thick craft glue
scissors, ruler, pencil, sandpaper, paper towel, paper plate (for palette), household sponge scrap, paintbrush
1. Basecoat all surfaces of clay pot white. Lightly sand heart edges as needed; wipe dust with paper towel. Paint wooden hearts green.
2. Cut a 5⁄8” square from sponge; sponge paint a green square every 5⁄8” around rim of pot. (Note: There will be six green squares, and six white spaces between squares, around rim.) Lightly sponge pot below rim with green. Spray all painted items with one coat of sealer.
3. Print and cut out pattern. (Note: The blue word “pattern” is a link. To access this pattern, select the link, then download and print pattern.) Transfer one stem onto green craft foam. Cut out stem.
4. With marker, outline stem and each heart with dashed lines; outline squares along rim. If desired, outline white squares 1⁄16” inside edges.
5. Use handle end of paintbrush to dot center of each green square along rim with gold glitter paint.
6. Using photo as guide, adhere hearts and stem in a clover shape to center front of pot. Fill pot with gold foil-covered candies.
by Helen Rafson