Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Invite family and friends to a fun Easter egg hunt with this quick-and-easy invitation. Little ones will enjoy gathering eggs in style with this matching Easter basket.
- Cardboard or papier-mâché container: 4-3/4”x7-1/4” oval
- Cardstock, 12”x12”: yellow floral, yellow/pink floral, pink patterned
- Vellum: floral, 12”x12”
- Ribbon: green, 1/2” wide, 1-1/2” wide; hot pink, 1” wide
- Oval cutting system or templates
- Computer and printer
- Sewing machine with white thread
- Needle and pink thread
- Hole punch, 1/8”
- Adhesives: 3M Vellum Tape; 3M Foam Tape; Therm O Web Super Tape, 1/4”
scissors, ruler, white copy paper
1. Cut 5-1/2” high yellow floral oval cardstock and slightly smaller floral oval vellum. Adhere vellum to cardstock with vellum tape.
2. Cut 3” high oval opening from inside of layered oval; trim cutout to slightly smaller size. Separate cardstock from vellum in cutout. Print invitation saying on white copy paper; adhere between yellow floral cutout and vellum cutout so that saying can be read through vellum; trim edges. With sewing thread, suspend small oval in opening of large oval. Cut 1-1/2” green ribbon to 5” length; tie knot in center. Trim ends at slight angle. Adhere ribbon to top of invitation as shown.
1. For lining, trace box bottom twice on yellow floral cardstock; cut inside traced line. Measure height and inside circumference of box; cut yellow floral cardstock to fit. Set aside.
2. For tag, print “Place Eggs Here!” on yellow floral paper; cut to 2”x2-1/2”. Mat on pink floral paper with foam tape. Set aside.
3. Cut pink pattern paper into 1/2” strips, 1” longer than height of box and enough to cover box when aligned vertically. Cut floral pattern paper into 1/2”x12” strips; if strips are shorter than box circumference, overlap ends and adhere. Weave long floral strips through short pink strips, adhering each weave. Adhere woven sheet to box. Fold ends over edge and under bottom and adhere. Adhere linings inside box and on box bottom.
4. For basket handle, cut two 1-1/4”x9” strips yellow floral cardstock; adhere together with right sides out. If desired, machine zigzag stitch long sides of handle. Attach ends to inside of box as shown in photo. Adhere hot pink ribbon around basket edge. Insert 1/2″ green ribbon through hole on tag and tie in bow to handle. Trim ribbon ends at angle.
- If strips slide around as you’re weaving, temporarily secure them to your work surface with low-tack tape or sticky notes.
by Karen Desmet