Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Look closely! Use an old chair seat to create this welcome sign, or any sign, for your garden!
- Vintage chair seat or wooden plaque, 15” square
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Lamp Black, Cadmium Yellow, Warm White, Olive Green, Leaf Green, Salem Blue, Sapphire
- Stencils: floral vine of choice; lowercase alphabet, 1-1/2” tall
- DecoArt Americana Gel Stain: wood stain of choice
- Royal & Langnickel Paintbrushes: Crafter’s Choice Stencil, Series 1⁄4”, 3⁄8”, 1⁄2”; Golden Taklon Liner, Series 595, #1
- Drill and drill bits
- Sisal rope
sandpaper, soft cloth, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
If using vintage chair seat, remove old finish and sand. Apply stain to seat or plaque; wipe with soft cloth.
Stencil “welcome friends” with Lamp Black; shade top right side of letters Warm White. Let dry.
Stencil vines and flowers across top left and bottom right side of sign. Add additional vines and flowers as needed. Stencil leaves and vines Olive Green; shade undersides Warm White. Stencil flowers Salem Blue; shade centers Sapphire. Stencil dots in centers Cadmium Yellow. Use liner brush to paint Leaf Green vein through leaf centers. Let dry.
Drill two holes in top of sign. Insert two sisal rope lengths through holes and knot ends at top.
by Mary Ayres