Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Turn your front porch into the envy of the neighborhood with this trio of quick-and-simple rustic pumpkins.
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Sheets: 1″x12″x18″, 1⁄2″x12″x12″
- Modern Options Paints: Metallic Surfacer, Iron; Antiquing Solution, Rust
- Brown acrylic paint (optional)
- Paintbrush, 1″
- Utility knife or serrated kitchen knife
scissors, pencil, soap, newspaper (to cover work surface)
9-1⁄2″, 14-1⁄4″, 17-1⁄2″ tall
1. Print and cut out pattern. Transfer design. Use knife to cut materials from plastic-foam as indicated. (Note: Rub blade with bar soap to help blade glide through foam easily.) Make 1⁄4″-deep, “V”-shaped cuts along section lines. Use edge of spoon to smooth cut edges and tip of spoon to press central vein line on each leaf.
2. Adhere leaves to pumpkins.
3. Follow manufacturer’s instructions to paint pumpkins and leaves two coats Iron. Paint backs Iron or Brown. Follow manufacturer’s instructions and use disposable brush to paint pumpkins and leaves Rust.
by Kathleen George for The Dow Chemical Co.