Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Stitch this whimsical frog as an attractive addition to your flower bed or garden.
- Darice 14-count brown plastic canvas, 1/2 sheet
- Brown paper
- DMC 6-strand Embroidery Floss
- Copper wire, 18-gauge, 36” length
- Assorted beads, six
- Tapestry needle, #26
- Therm O Web PeelnStick Double-Sided Adhesive, 3-3/4”x5”
- Backstitch: 2 strands
- Cross-stitch: 3 strands
- French Knot: 2 or 3 strands (wrapped two times)
scissors, ruler, wire cutter
Size / Stitch Count
Sign size: 4”x8-1⁄2”; stitch count: 50 w x 62 h
1. Print cross-stitch chart and key. (Note: The blue words “chart” and “key” are links. To access these, select the link, then download and print items.) Use three strands floss to cross-stitch design centered on canvas. For French knots, use three strands DMC White for frog’s eyes, and two strands DMC 307 Lemon for fly’s eyes.
2. For backstitch, use two strands for the following: DMC 310 Black for dashed lines, fly’s body and antennae, frog’s mouth and tongue; DMC 318 Steel Gray, Lt. for flower; DMC 414 Steel Gray, Dk. for bow tie, fly’s wings; DMC 890 Pistachio Green, Ultra Dk. for frog, flower stem, and leaf.
3. Cut design to two squares beyond stitching on right/left sides, six squares beyond stitching on bottom, and five squares beyond stitching on top. For indents, cut out four squares from top and bottom edges, three squares in.
4. Remove backing from adhesive sheet; apply to back of design. Press brown paper onto adhesive; trim paper and smooth edges.
5. Cut wire length in half. Wrap one length around bottom indents; twist ends together and curl into spirals. Add beads to spirals. Wrap remaining wire length around top indents; twist ends together at center for hanger. Add beads and cut ends.
by Kathy Wirth