Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Fireworks bursting over sailboats in a bay create a spectacular water front display to celebrate America’s birthday! Inserted into a bulletin board, this patriotic cross-stitch design can be beautifully displayed all year long as part of your family’s message center.
- Denim blue 14-count Aida, 17” x 12”
- DMC 6-Strand Embroidery Floss
- Kreinik #4 Braid
- Bulletin board, 18” x 24”
- Narrow wooden lattice strips, four
- Embroidery needle
- Hammer and small brad nails
- Backstitch: 2 strands floss or 1 strand #4 braid
- Cross-stitch: 2 strands
Size / Stitch Count
Approximate Finished Design Size: 11-3⁄8”x6-3⁄8”; Stitch Count: 160 w x 90 h
Water Front Celebration
2. Cross-stitch design centered on fabric. Backstitch using two strands floss or one strand #4 braid as indicated.
3. Cut cardboard to fit into top portion of bulletin board. Center finished design over cardboard; turn over. Using needle and thread, zig-zag stitch edges together at back to secure. Place design in top portion of bulletin board.
4. To frame, measure and cut lattice strips to fit around design. (Note: If desired, apply wood finish to lattice strips prior to framing.) Align strips so they are flush with sides of bulletin board and nail into place with small brad nails, making sure design is securely held in place.
by Mike Vickery