Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Add a little glitz to your Independence Day table with this easy-to-make star-spangled centerpiece!
- Dow STYROFOAM Brand Foam Block 2”x5”x7”
- Fabric: red/white striped, 6”x19”; blue/white star, 6-1/2”x9”
- Red Felt, 1-7/8”x6-7/8”
- Star picks: four blue, three red, two red/white/blue
- Silver metallic bag filler
- Iron-on adhesive
- Star cookie cutter, 3-1/2”
- Pebbles or fishing weights, 1/2 cup
- Wire cutters
pencil, scissors, ruler, iron and pressing surface, melon baller
For vase bottom, use melon baller to scoop out a small cavity from one long 2”-wide end of plastic foam. See photo. Center and adhere striped fabric to vase, overlapping edges, folding and adhering excess fabric to top and bottom of vase.
Following manufacturer’s directions for adhesive, iron adhesive to wrong side of star print fabric. Use cookie cutter to trace two stars on wrong wide of fabric; cut out. Iron one star to upper left corner of one long side of vase. Repeat for back.
Adhere pebbles or fishing weights into vase, filling cavity. Adhere felt to bottom of vase.
Use scissors to curl several streamers from picks. Use wire cutters to cut 3-1/2” length from bottom of each pick; adjust length of pick as necessary. See photo. Insert picks into top of vase.
Adhere filler to top of vase.
- Spray glitter on base to add some sparkle to your centerpiece.
by Annabelle Keller