Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Stitch this quote as a gentle reminder to enjoy today and not stress out about tomorrow.
- JAR Designs Spring Leaf 28-count Jobelan, 17”x12” (available at X’s & Oh’s Designs)
- DMC Six-strand Embroidery Floss
- Green fabric, 1/2 yd.
- Green ribbon, 5/8” wide, 24” length
- Embroidery needle
- Sewing machine and matching thread
- Backstitch: 1 strand
- Cross-stitch: 3 strands
Size / Stitch Count
Approximate Finished Size: 10-5/8″x5-3/4″; Stitch Count: 150 w x 82 h
1. Print cross-stitch chart and key. (Note: The blue words “chart” and “key” are links. To access these, select the link, then download and print items.) Stitch design centered on fabric over two threads. Trim stitched fabric 1-1/2” from stitching.
2. Cut two strips of green fabric 8-3/4”x2-1/2”. Sew one strip to each side of stitched fabric using 1/4” seam allowance. Cut two strips 17-1/4”x2-1/2”. Sew one strip to top and bottom of stitched fabric. Press seams toward green fabric.
3. Cut batting 17”x12-1/4”. Cut green backing fabric same dimensions as sewn top. Cut four 6” lengths of green ribbon and fold in half. Layer batting on back of top (cross-stitched) fabric. Pin ribbon to right-side of top fabric with fold toward center and backing fabric with right-side facing top fabric. Sew around all edges, leaving a 3” opening at bottom. Clip corners and turn right-side out; press. Hang from dowel.
- This design would be very easy to convert to any favorite over-dyed fabric and easy to select a complementary color that stands out well against fabric. Remember to make backstitching 2 shades darker than letters.
by Jo Gatenby for X’s & Oh’s Designs (www.xs-and-ohs.com)