Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Make your glorious garden a well-known, best-kept secret with this charming sign and coordinating plant pokes. Paint extras for a gardening friend.
- MDF, pine, or birch veneer, 1⁄4” thick, 12”x21”
- Delta Ceramcoat Acrylic Paints: Barn Red, Copen Blue, Quaker Grey, Terra Cotta, Black, Ivory, Rain Grey, Toffee Brown, Burnt Umber, Gamal Green, Straw, Village Green
- Fabric scrap
- Scroll saw
- Royal & Langnickel Golden Taklon Paintbrushes: Angular Shader, Series 160, 1⁄2”; Shader, Series 150, #4-12; Liner, Series 595, #2
- Delta Ceramcoat: Brown Antiquing Medium, Satin Interior/Exterior Varnish
- Black extra-fine-tip permanent marker
- API Crafter’s Pick The Ultimate Craft Glue
sandpaper, damp cloth, transfer paper, pencil
Print and cut out patterns. (Note: The blue word “patterns” is a link. To access these patterns, select the link, then download and print patterns.) Use scroll saw to cut shapes from wood. Drill holes where indicated. Sand and wipe edges with damp cloth. Transfer outlines only to items.
Thin antiquing medium with water; apply to sides and back of all items. Paint the following: beehive Custard; watering can Quaker Grey; pot Terra Cotta; snail’s head Burnt Umber; snail’s body Toffee Brown; sign border Gamal Green; stakes, sign center, flower center, snail’s eyes, and bee’s wings Ivory; bee’s body and flower Straw; leaves Village Green; watering can checks Copen Blue; ladybug’s body Barn Red; ladybug’s and bee’s head Black. Paint beehive hole Toffee Brown.
Transfer remaining details. Use liner and Black to paint bee’s stripes and dot snail’s eyes and ladybug’s body. Use liner and Black or marker for lettering. Use liner and Ivory to dot ladybug’s and bee’s eyes, and paint sign stripes. Use liner to paint Toffee Brown stripes on flower centers. Use marker to trace remaining details.
Shade the following: beehive Straw; watering can Rain Grey; pot Burnt Umber; sign center edges, flower center, snail’s eyes, and bee’s wings Toffee Brown; leaves Gamal Green; ladybug’s body Black. Add Ivory highlights to watering can checks.
Thread wire through sign holes and curl ends. Tie fabric bow onto hanger. Adhere stakes to plant pokes.
by Cheryl Seslar