Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Sponge painting silver over black magically creates a metallic faux finish. You’d never guess these sturdy-looking candle holders are cut from posterboard!
- Posterboard, 10” square
- Acrylic paints: black, silver
- Battery-operated tea light or votive candle
- Sponge scrap
- Fiskars Decorative-Edge Scissors: Pinking or Scallop
- Aleene’s OriginalTacky Glue
scissors, craft knife, tracing paper, pencil
(Note: Materials listed are for one votive holder.)
1. Print pattern. (Note: The blue word “pattern” is a link. To access this pattern, select the link, then download and print pattern.) Trace votive holder outline onto posterboard; cut out. Transfer desired motif onto each side; use craft knife to cut out. Use decorative-edged scissors to cut top edges.
2. Basecoat all surfaces black; let dry. Sponge over black with silver.
3. Score votive holder along dashed lines; fold. Adhere flaps to side panels.
4. Place battery-operated tea light or votive candle inside votive holder.
by Helen Rafson