Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
To beat the summer heat, throw a “Christmas in July” party. Create this adorable, quick-and-simple Hatbox Snowman to decorate your patio and spread the Christmas cheer! No snow required!
- Round papier-mâché boxes with lids, one each size: 5-1⁄2”x7” diameter, 4”x8” diameter, 4-1⁄2”x10” diameter
- Wooden shapes: 3⁄4” discs, five; 1” disc, three; 1-1/4” hearts, two; 2” carrot
- Rusty tin items: primitive heart, 1-1⁄4” across; jingle bell, 1” diameter; shovel, 12”
- Fabrics: green/ecru homespun, 1”x27”; burgundy felt, 1⁄4 yd.
- Acrylic paints: Rust, White, Black, Burgundy, Hunter Green
- Aleene’s Brush-on Snow
- Artificial pine sprigs, two
- Pine cone, 1-1⁄2”
- Jute twine, 1-1⁄4 yds.
- Palette knife
- Paintbrushes: flat, liner
- Needle and burgundy thread
- All-purpose primer
- Aleene’s Original Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, newspaper (to cover work surface)
1. Remove lid from small box and discard. On covered work surface, apply one coat all-purpose primer to outside of boxes and remaining lids; let dry. Paint boxes White. Adhere boxes together, with smallest box at top; let dry.
2. Paint the following: small discs (eyes/mouth) Black; hearts (cheeks) and two large discs (buttons) Burgundy; carrot (nose) Rust; remaining large disc (button) Hunter Green. Let dry.
3. Using palette knife and following manufacturer’s instructions, apply brush-on snow to boxes. While still wet, and using photo as placement guide, push painted wooden shapes and rusty tin heart into snow. Let dry overnight.
4. For hat, cut 5”x14” piece from felt. Sew gathering stitches along both long edges. Pull gathers tight on one edge for top of hat. Fit open end of hat around top of head; pull threads to gather and spot glue to head.
5. For hat band, cut 1-1⁄2”x23” strip from felt. Beginning and ending at center back, adhere band around top of head, over hat gathers. Trim ends as needed.
6. Using a liner brush, highlight eyes, cheeks, and nose with White. Thin brush-on snow with water; spatter paint hat.
7. Cut three 6” lengths from twine. Tie each length into a bow; adhere bows to buttons. Use remaining twine to tie shovel around neck. Tie fabric around neck to hide twine; knot fabric at right side of neck. Adhere bell to top of hat. Adhere greenery and pine cone to right side of hat.
by Bonnie Stephens