Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Great for the beach, bathtub, or playroom, these adorable Dog & Giraffe Toy Buckets are a fun, clutter-free way to store your child’s toys.
- Metal pails, 12-quart, two
- Satin spray paint: ivory, orange
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Sable Brown, Lamp Black, White Wash, Cadmium Yellow
- Craft foam: brown orange
- Black cord
- Yellow pom-poms, 1-1/2”, four
- Hole punch, 1/8”
- Plastic circle template
- Paintbrushes: round bristle or stencil, liner
- API Crafter’s Pick Incredibly Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, paper towels, newspaper (to cover work surface)
(Note: The blue words shown below are links. To access these, select the link, then download and print items.)
1. On covered work surface, spray paint bucket Ivory; let dry.
2. Center face from side to side. Use circle templates to paint: 3-1/2” Sable Brown circle on top left side of center; two 1-1/2” Lamp Black eye circles at center top (Note: left eye circle should be on top of brown circle.); 2” Lamp Black nose circle in middle of bucket at center; three 1/4” Lamp Black circles on each side of nose; 1/4” White Wash circle in top of each eye; 1/2” White Wash circle in top of nose.
3. Paint muzzle line Lamp Black.
4. Print Dog pattern. Cut out ears; punch hole 3/8” from each side of top edge of ear. Thread cord through one hole in ear, wrap ear around bottom of handle, thread cord through remaining ear hole, and knot. Trim cord ends 1” past knot.
1. Print Giraffe pattern. Cut out ears. On covered work surface, spray paint bucket and one side of ears orange. Let dry.
2. Center face from side to side. Use circle template to paint: two 1-1/2” Lamp Black eye circles at center top; 1/4” White Wash circle in top of each eye; five 3/4” to 1-1/4” Cadmium Yellow circles on both sides of face; three 3/4” to 1-1/4” Cadmium Yellow circles on each painted ear.
3. Transfer nostrils; paint Lamp Black.
4. Punch holes 3/8” from each side of top edge of ear. Attach ears in same way as Dog.
5. For horns, glue two pom-poms to both sides of bucket handle.
- Circles: Place circle template on area to be painted. Dip dry round bristle or stencil brush in paint, wipe brush on paper towel to remove excess, and dab brush in open area of circle.
- Muzzle & Nostril Lines: Dip end of pointed paintbrush handle into paint, then make dot on line. Repeat for each dot. Make dots side by side to form a continuous line.
by Mary Ayres