Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Dry brushing is a perfect technique for enhancing and highlighting detail. Even when changing colors, you never use water, so it’s ideal for paper crafting. Layer colors to achieve your desired effect.
- Stampin’ Up! Basic Black Cardstock
- Kaisercraft Self-Adhesive Rhinestones: Round Yellow; Mx Square Lilac, Silver
- May Arts Thin Gold Cord
- Spellbinders Grand Calibur Die-Cutting System and Junior Replacement Plates Full Set (GC-011)
- Spellbinders Grand Nestabilities Grand Rectangles Dies (LF-132)
- Spellbinders 3D M-Bossabilities Celtic Knot Embossing Folder (E3D-012) and Raspberry Spacer Plate (GC-012)
- Royal & Langnickel #8 Sable White Bissell Brush
- Acrylic paints: Delta Ceramcoat Lt. Ivory, AC Flesh, Woodland Night Green; DecoArt Americana Soft Sage; Plaid FolkArt Bayberry
- NARCO Metallic Finger Rub-Ons Color Kit
- Adhesives: Glue Arts GlueGlider Pro, 3M Scotch Brand Foam Mounting Tape
scissors, scoring tool, craft knife and cutting mat, old dishtowel, mini water mister
Celtic Knots Card
1. Make 7-1/8”x5-1/2” black top- or side-fold card as desired.
2. Die cut/emboss two #4 and one #5 Grand Rectangles shapes from black cardstock.
3. Spritz one #4 die cut with water. Place misted die cut inside Celtic Knot folder, sandwich folder between Pink Embossing Plate B and Raspberry Spacer Plate D, and emboss.
4. Using dry brush technique, apply layers of color to raised embossed details until desired look is achieved. To dry brush, dip paintbrush bristle into acrylic paint, brush off nearly all paint onto dry towel in circular motion, and lightly apply to surface. Highlight random areas with metallic gold rub-on finish.
5. Spritz second #4 die cut with water. Repeat Step 3 to emboss design. Using craft knife, detail cut around embossed Celtic Knot; dry brush with acrylic paints. Highlight edges of shape with metallic gold rub-on finish.
6. Thread gold cord around center of Celtic Knot, adhering ends at back. Embellish center of knot with stacked Silver and Lilac square rhinestones. Embellish embossed panel with yellow rhinestones. Adhere knot to embossed panel using foam tape.
7. Mat embossed panel on #5 die cut using small bits of foam tape. Adhere panel to card front.
- Remember, never use water on paintbrush even when changing colors or paper may warp.
by Linda Duke for Spellbinders (www.spellbinderspaperarts.com)