Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Create these quick-and-simple pilgrim salt & pepper shakers as the perfect finishing touch to your Thanksgiving table!
- Salt & pepper shaker set with straight sides (available at Linens ‘n Things #398216-130814)
- Canvas fabric
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Antique Gold, Burnt Orange, Slate Grey, Warm White, Honey Brown, Toffee, Lamp Black Mississippi Mud
- Antique metal eyelets, 1/8”, 16
- Black mini brads, four
- Ribbon scraps: orange/white, black/ivory stripe
- Hemp cord, 24” length, two
- Brown ink pad
- Hole punches: 1/16”, 1/8”
- Sewing Machine and black thread
- Eyelet setting tool
scissors, pencil, transfer paper, sponge scrap
Adjust size of canvas rectangles and pattern if needed. Canvas rectangle should cover most of straight sides of shaker, leaving 1/2” opening at side for lacing.
1. Cut two 2”x5-1/2” canvas rectangles. Paint both sides of rectangles Warm White; let dry.
2. Print and cut out pattern; transfer designs to rectangles, continuing lines across entire rectangle.
3. For girl, paint: top hair Honey Brown; face Toffee. For boy, paint: back of rectangles Mississippi Mud; hat band Lamp Black; buckle Antique Gold; remaining hat Mississippi Mud; hair Burnt Orange; face Toffee. Let dry.
4. Machine sew straight stitch around details and fabric rectangle edges.
5. Antique rectangle edges with brown ink, using dry sponge scrap.
6. Punch 1/16” holes at both ends of fabric rectangles as indicated by pattern; attach eyelets. Tie ribbons and sew to bottom of faces.
7. Wrap fabric rectangles around shakers. Lace hemp cord through eyelets, beginning at bottom and tie bow at top.
by Mary Ayres