Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Welcome fall with a festive banner made using Die-namics dies and richly colored cardstock from My Favorite Things.
- My Favorite Things Cardstock: Hot Fudge, Sour Apple, Kraft, Tangy Orange
- My Favorite Things Sour Apple Buttons, seven
- My Favorite Things Hemp Cord
- Green glitter cardstock
- Paper: corrugated, patterned
- Heavy jute cord (for hanging)
- Die-cutting system and My Favorite Things Die-namics Dies: Jumbo Fishtail Flags STAX, 1/4″ Rosette, High-Rise Alphabet, Lisa Johnson Designs Fall Foliage, Mix & Match Banners, Open Simply Scallops Trio, Mini Doily Circles, Circle STAX
- Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Vintage Photo Ink Pad
- Scor-Pal Scor-Pal Scoring Board
- Adhesives: tape runner, foam tape, glue gun and sticks, Scor-Pal Scor-Tape
paper trimmer, scissors, ruler, pencil, sponge dauber
(Note: Use photos as guides throughout.)
1. For each pennant, die cut largest Jumbo Fishtail Flag STAX die from corrugated paper, next smaller die from Hot Fudge cardstock, and next smaller die from patterned paper. Die cut smallest Open Simply Scallops Trio die and Mini Doily Circle die from corrugated paper. Die cut fourth smallest die from Circle STAX large set from scrap paper. Die cut two 1/4″ Rosettes from contrasting patterned paper.
2. Die cut letters to spell FALL from green glitter cardstock using High-Rise Alphabet dies.
3. Die cut seven Mix & Match Banners pennants from corrugated paper.
4. Die cut two each of three leaves from Lisa Johnson Designs Fall Foliage die set.
5. Sponge edges of die cuts with Vintage Photo Distress Ink, except Hot Fudge cardstock layer and scrap circles.
6. Trim 1/4″ from long edge of both 1/4″ Rosette die cuts and accordion fold on scored lines.
7. Continue until both strips are folded.
8. Apply two pieces of Scor-Tape to both ends of one strip.
9. Adhere two strips together, overlapping ends. (Note: Strips should now form circle.)
10. Flatten circle and apply heavy bead of hot glue around center opening, approximately 1/2″ from center.
11. Working quickly, adhere scrap circle over hot glue, keeping it centered and smooth. Allow glue to set and cool completely.
12. When set, flip medallion over and apply hot glue in same manner to front, approximately 1/4″ from center.
13. Working quickly, adhere Mini Doily Circle die cut to center of medallion and smooth with fingers.
14. To assemble pennant, adhere patterned paper, Hot Fudge cardstock, and corrugated layers together with tape runner. Trim Open Simply Scallops Trio die cut to width of largest Jumbo Fishtail Flag STAX layer and adhere with foam tape. Adhere medallion to pennant with hot glue. Repeat for all six pennants.
15. Score leaves through center and shape with fingers. Using photo as guide, arrange two sets of leaves and adhere together with hot glue; tie hemp cord into bow around stems. Adhere one set to each outer pennant. Adhere letters to four inner pennants with foam tape. Tie buttons with hemp cord and adhere to Mix & Match Banners. Arrange in correct order, starting with small pennant, then alternating large and small.
16. Flip banner over, face down, maintaining correct order.
17. Make 1″ loop from heavy jute cord and secure with tape; apply heavy bead of hot glue to back of first mini pennant.
18. Quickly adhere jute cord in hot glue; allow to set and cool.
19. Run heavy bead of hot glue on first large pennant and quickly adhere jute cord. Leave approximately 1/4″ between pennants to allow for draping when hanging.
20. Adhere jute cord to rest of pennants in same manner until complete.
- If score lines on 1/4″ Rosette die cuts are not deep enough, try shimming with a sheet of cardstock.
by Barbara Anders for My Favorite Things (www.mftstamps.com)