Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Create an autumn-inspired mixed media canvas using My Favorite Things stencils, dies, and stamps.
- Canvas, 6”x6”x1-1/4”
- My Favorite Things Primitive Cream Cardstock
- Advantus Tim Holtz idea-ology Old Dictionary Tissue Paper Wrap
- Gold brad
- Sizzix Tim Holtz Alterations Vagabond Die-Cutting System
- My Favorite Things Die-namics Dies: LJD Fall Foliage, MPD Time Pieces, Layered Treat Tag
- My Favorite Things Stamp Sets: LJD Fall Foliage, MPD Timeless
- My Favorite Things MPD Houndstooth Stencil
- Acrylic paints: DecoArt Traditions Quinacridone Gold, Ranger Claudine Hellmuth STUDIO Classic Teal
- DecoArt Dazzling Metallics Medieval Gold Metallic Glaze
- Ink pads: My Favorite Things ColorBox Premium Black Licorice; Ranger Tim Holtz Distress Inks Brushed Corduroy, Black Soot; Imagine Crafts Tsukineko VersaMark
- Embossing powders: Hampton Art à la mode Gold, Stampendous! Fran-táge Aged Spice Enamel
- Golden Heavy Gel Medium
- Plaid Mod Podge Matte
- Ranger Inkssentials Heat-It Craft Tool
- Glue gun and Ad Tech Mini Size Glue Sticks
paintbrush, palette knife, sponge blending tool
1. Tear tissue paper into assorted-size pieces and adhere randomly to all sides of canvas using Mod Podge; let dry.
2. Place stencil on front of canvas; apply even layer of gel medium using palette knife.
3. Remove stencil and allow gel medium to fully dry.
4. Apply assortment of paints and glaze to canvas. Let dry.
5. Add distressing by applying Black Soot Distress Ink to edges and front of the canvas.
6. Die cut two sets of leaves, sentiment strip, clock face, and clock hands.
7. Stamp clock face, hands, and sentiment using Black Licorice ink. Use sponge blending tool to apply Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink to edges.
8. Stamp leaves using VersaMark ink. Emboss one of each type of leaf using Gold embossing powder and remaining leaves using Aged Spice embossing enamel; use heat tool to set. Use sponge blending tool to apply Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink to edges.
9. Attach clock hands to clock face using gold brad. Adhere die-cut pieces to canvas as shown in photo.
- Use decorated canvas as a unique photo display. Add a clip in the open area so you can change out seasonal family photos as often as desired.
by Mona Pendleton for My Favorite Things (www.mftstamps.com)