Craft Ideas Craft of the Day
Add some festive flair to your Christmas packages with these quick-and-simple holiday gift tags.
- Craft foam (for each): white, 6” square; red, 3”x4”
- Flannel fabric, 1-1⁄2”x14” (snowman’s scarf)
- Acrylic paints: white, ivory, hot pink, crimson, orange
- Pinking shears
- Black fine-tip permanent marker
- Craft glue
ruler, tracing paper, pencil, paintbrush, newspaper (to cover work surface)
Swirl Cap Characters
1. Print and cut out patterns. (Note: The blue word “patterns” is a link. To access these patterns, select the link, then download and print.) Trace hat outline only onto red foam, and remaining patterns onto white; cut out. Using long, smooth strokes, cut swirls in hats. Cut two 3⁄4”x3-1⁄4” hat bands from white using pinking shears.
2. Transfer faces. For Santa, basecoat face Ivory. While paint is still wet, drybrush cheeks Hot Pink. When dry, paint nose and mouth Crimson and eyebrows White.
3. Using pattern as guide, draw details with black fine-tip permanent marker.
4. For snowman, drybrush cheeks Hot Pink and paint nose Orange. Draw details with marker. Tie scarf around neck.
5. Adhere bottom edges of hats to tops of heads and hat bands to hats. To hang, separate swirl and place on package. Write recipient’s name on hat band.
- Need a last-minute gift? Kids can easily create these gift tags as ornaments for Grandma and Grandpa.
by Barbara Matthiessen