Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Simple clay embellishments and paint turn a wooden plaque into a fun décor piece for your home!
- Wooden plaque, 9”x7″
- Polyform Premo! Sculpey Clay: Black, Green, Orange, Purple
- Black ribbon, 1/4” wide, 8” length
- Felt, scraps
- Scrub sponge or scruffy pad
- DecoArt Americana Acrylic Paints: Olive Green, Canyon Orange, Saffron Yellow, Lamp Black; StarLite Varnish
- Jacquard Products Powdered Pigments: Orange, Green, Purple
- Dimensional paints: black, yellow
- Parchment-lined baking sheet and oven
- Aleene’s Thick Designer Tacky Glue
scissors, ruler, toothpick, paint palette, soft cloth, wax paper and newspaper (to cover work surface), fine sandpaper, transfer paper, pencil, cardstock, copy paper, paintbrush, craft knife, stylus
1. Print shoe patterns onto cardstock and saying pattern onto copy paper. (Note: The blue word “patterns” is a link. To access these patterns, select the link, then download and print patterns.)
2. Condition clay separately in hands until soft and pliable. On wax paper-covered work surface, roll Black clay to 1/8” thickness. Press scrub sponge or scruffy pad onto surface to make texture. Trace and cut out shoe patterns from textured clay using craft knife. Position shoes on parchment-lined baking sheet.
3. Roll Green, Orange, and Purple clays separately on work surface to 1/8” thickness. Press scrub sponge on surface of each clay to make texture. Use craft knife to cut out 1/4”-1/2”-thick strips of clay for each shoe. Follow color combinations as shown in photo.
4. Roll and flatten four 3/8”-diameter Orange balls (pumpkins) for left shoe. Use toothpick to make eye holes and smile on each flattened pumpkin. Press pumpkins, evenly spaced, along Green strip. Press strip onto left shoe.
5. Cut Purple clay strip and scallop one edge using craft knife. Gently curve and press Purple scalloped edge onto Green strip; blend edges. Press onto center shoe. Add tiny Green clay balls onto Purple scalloped edge; use toothpick to dot centers. Repeat process to add Purple/Green scalloped trim onto top of shoe.
6. Cut two Orange clay strips; press onto right shoe. Cut small diamond shape from Purple clay and smaller diamond shape from Orange clay. Press Orange diamond onto Purple diamond; press onto front of shoe. Roll skinny snake of Purple clay; form into bow and press onto back of shoe.
7. Use paintbrush to apply coordinating-color pigment powders onto each clay embellishment. Bake shoes on parchment-lined baking sheet in oven at 275º for 10 minutes. Let cool.
8. On newspaper-covered work surface, apply gesso onto front of plaque. Let dry. Lightly sand and remove dust with soft cloth. Paint edges of plaque Canyon Orange; apply second coat if needed. Let dry. Measure 1” in from orange edge; paint front 6” rectangle on plaque Olive Green. Let dry. Measure and mark off center 6-1/2”x4-1/4” rectangle on front of plaque. Paint center rectangle Saffron Yellow. Apply two or three coats for opaque coverage if needed; let dry.
9. Use transfer paper and pencil to transfer saying on top of center rectangle. Trace over saying using Lamp Black paint and paintbrush. Let dry.
10. Add alternating black and yellow dots around center rectangle and edges of plaque using handle end of paintbrush or stylus (if available). Let dry.
11. Apply varnish over entire plaque using paintbrush. Let dry.
12. Adhere shoes on plaque as shown. Let dry. Spot glue clay embellishments if needed. Let dry.
13. Turn plaque over on work surface. Adhere black ribbon ends to corners of plaque to hang. Adhere felt scraps over ribbon ends to reinforce. Let dry overnight before hanging.
by Sandy Rollinger