Craft Ideas Craft of the Day
Make a gift album they won’t forget! Paper bags work well for albums because they provide built-in pocket details for tags, photos, and memorabilia.
- White paper bags, 3-1/2”x6-3/4”x2”, two
- Cardstock: The Robin’s Nest Cindy Lou Dot Glitter, Cindy Lou Stripe, Cindy Lou Who Presents; pale green, bright green, and white scraps
- Holiday-themed paper scraps, assorted
- The Robin’s Nest Dew Drops Christmas Collection (dd137)
- Buttons, assorted
- Trims: seam binding, lace, ribbon, rickrack
- Silk flower
- Sizzix Big Shot Die-Cutting System and Tim Holtz Alterations On the Edge Scallops Die
- Martha Stewart Crafts Seal Punch
- Imagine Crafts Tsukineko VersaMagic Aloe Vera Chalk Ink Pad
- Adhesives: clear-drying liquid glue, double-sided tape
paper trimmer, scoring tool, scissors, ruler, pencil
Note: Ink all paper and paper bag edges Aloe Vera prior to assembly.
1. Measure and mark first paper bag 1” from open end. Cut away 1”-wide strip on front layer of paper bag only.
2. Measure and mark second paper bag 2” from open end. Fold on line; unfold bag.
3. To create album base, place paper bags lengthwise and side by side on work surface with open ends of bags facing each other at center; bag bottoms should face up.
4. Apply double-sided tape to back of 2”-wide flap on second bag and slide flap into open end of first bag. Press bags together to secure adhesive.
1. See Photo 1. Cut 4-1/4”x3-1/2” red striped paper panel; score and fold to measure 2-1/8”x3-1/2”. Adhere back of folded paper to bag bottom on left side. Unfold paper and adhere flower and green trim as shown.
2. Cut 6-7/8”x3-1/2” strip from green/red flourish paper. Adhere paper to front of first paper bag; this is hidden by longer strip in photo.
3. Cut 9-3/8”x3-1/2” strip from green/red flourish paper. Die cut one short end using scallops die. Score and fold strip at 4-5/8”. Adhere straight edge of strip to flourish paper beneath bag flap.
4. Adhere top and bottom edges of bag bottom to paper beneath, creating pocket.
5. Create small cardstock tag to slide into pocket. Adhere embellishment to die-cut page. Fold die-cut page to left.
1. See Photo 2. Cut 7-1/2”x3-1/2” red cardstock strip. Adhere to album base, sliding left end inside open bag and right end beneath bag flap on right. Adhere top and bottom edges of bag bottom to cardstock layer, creating pocket.
2. Cut 2-1/8”x3-1/2” green/red flourish paper strip. Adhere to bag bottom on right. Adhere braid trim to edge of paper as shown.
3. Create small cardstock tags to slide into pocket on right.
4. Fold die-cut page to left again.
1. See Photo 3. Adhere lace trim to edge of flourish panel covering bag front.
2. Create another cardstock tag to insert into pocket created by open end of bag.
3. Adhere embellishment to back of striped page at far left.
4. See Photo 4. Cut two 3-3/4”x4-1/2” green/red flourish paper panels; score each panel 1” from one short end. Die cut ends opposite folds. Fold on score lines and adhere flaps to top and bottom edges of left-hand album page, next to fold. Cut 3-1/2”x3-1/2” square of dot paper and adhere between flaps. Refold page.
5. Fold bag bottom to left to meet edge of striped page.
1. See Photo 5. Cut 9-3/8”x3-1/2” red/green leaf paper strip. Score and fold 4-5/8” from one short end. Adhere to last folded page of album as shown. Adhere green trim to left edge.
2. See Photo 6. To create fold-out dot page, cut 10-1/2”x3-7/8” dot paper strip. Score strip 3-1/2” from each short end; die cut short ends. Fold strip and adhere to last album page on three sides, leaving right edge open to create pocket.
3. Cut 3-1/2”x3” striped paper panel and adhere inside open page on three sides, leaving right edge open to create pocket. Add paper strip and embellishment to bottom of lower flap.
4. Create small cardstock tags to slide into pockets. Close page.
1. Open album to first spread. Fold striped paper panel closed and adhere Santa image and three red Dew Drops to front to create left side of front cover.
2. Cut 9-3/8”x3-1/2” dot paper strip; score and fold at 4-5/8”. Adhere paper to front and back of album on right side.
3. Cut 6-7/8”x3-1/2” red striped paper strip; adhere to back of album.
4. Cut two 12” seam binding lengths. Center and adhere ends to edges of front covers; let dry. Adhere lace and trim to edges of cover to hide seam binding ends; let dry.
5. Tie album closed as shown.
6. Using photo as guide, embellish right side of front cover.
- Be sure to use clear-drying liquid glue with Dew Drops embellishments for best effect.
by Tonya Wilson-Trantham (www.creativeaddictiontopaper.blogspot.com)