Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Embellish a photo album your loved ones can enjoy year-round as a fun alternative to chocolates and flowers this Valentine’s Day. Metallic threads and colorful beads add just the right amount of sparkle!
- Purchased photo album for 4”x6” photos
- Felt: purple, 7-1⁄2”x20”; pale pink, 4” square; hot pink, 3” square; fuchsia, 3” square
- Kreinik Very Fine Metallic Braid #4, one skein each: Pale Pink, Magenta Sunset, Purple
- Seed beads, size 11°, one package each: pink, magenta, lavender, purple
- Beading thread
- Needles: embroidery, beading
- Iron and pressing surface
- Therm O Web HeatnBond Iron-on Adhesive
detail scissors, craft knife, straight pins
1. Place purple felt on flat work surface. Place album, opened flat and cover side down, in center of felt. Trace album onto felt; cut out, leaving 1⁄4” border at top and bottom and 3” to 4” border (for cover flaps) at each side. With felt right side up, mark front cover area with pins for design placement.
2. Print, cut out, and trace patterns onto paper side of iron-on adhesive. (Note: The blue word “patterns” is a link. To access these patterns, select the link, then download and print patterns.) Cut out, leaving 1⁄4” border. Following manufacturer’s instructions, fuse paper shapes to felt as indicated and cut out; use craft knife or small, sharp scissors to cut out detailed center area. Remove paper backing. Fuse shapes to front cover area as shown.
3. Using one strand very fine braid in embroidery needle, blanket stitch around inside and outside edges of hearts with contrasting colors.
4. For sparkles around central design, use Pale Pink and Magenta Sunset in random order to sew sheaf stitches. Sew three parallel stitches, then come up at center behind middle stitch. Slide needle behind stitch to left, wrap around front of all three parallel stitches, and take needle down again at center behind middle stitch. (Note: This will pull outer stitches in to center.)
5. Stitch individual beads to ends of sparkles, using one color of bead per sparkle, and along unstitched heart edges, using one color of bead per heart. Stitch a cluster of beads to each corner of front cover. Sew radiating Magenta Sunset straight stitches out from bead clusters.
6. To finish, place felt right side down. Replace album on top of felt. Fold and pin cover flaps to inside and close album to check fit. Cover should be snug but should allow album to close easily. Remove album.
7. Sew a Magenta Sunset running stitch around album cover, 1⁄4” from edges, sewing through both felt layers as needed. Remove pins; insert photo album.
by Cindy Gorder