Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Add a colorful fabric band accent to a towel for a one-of-a-kind gift or to coordinate with your household color scheme. Great for using your favorite leftover fabric or to make for various holidays!
- Plain white towel
- Fabric scraps
- Coordinating all-purpose thread
- VIVO™ by SINGER® Create & Repair Machine
scissors, straight pins, tape measure, iron and pressing surface
Measuring & Cutting Fabric
1. Measure width of towel from edge to edge; add 1” to measurement.
2. Determine height of towel for band (2”-3” is usually good height); add 1” to measurement.
3. Cut fabric scrap using width and height measurements taken in Steps 1 and 2.
1. Fold under 1/2″ on each raw edge of fabric to wrong side. Press.
2. Position fabric band on towel, pinning in place to secure.
3. Insert appropriate needle into VIVO™ Create & Repair Machine for fabric to be sewn.
4. Set machine for straight stitch.
5. Thread top of machine and bobbin with all-purpose thread in color that matches or blends as closely as possible to color of fabric band. (Note: If trying to choose between two colors, opt for darker color which will usually blend in better than lighter color.)
6. Carefully stitch close to folded edge on all four sides of fabric band. Be sure to remove pins as you sew. The presser foot will help guide fabric evenly while stitching.
7. Backstitch at beginning and end of stitching to help secure thread in place. (Note: Backstitching secures machine stitching so threads do not become loose. It is done by reversing few stitches on top of or just next to those machine stitches at beginning or end of line of machine sewing. To backstitch, position needle about 1/2″ from top edge of fabric. Stitch in reverse almost to raw edge. Change to forward and stitch to end of fabric. Reverse and backstitch about 1/2″.)
8. Remove towel from machine. Trim thread tails.
- The more slowly you sew, the more control you have guiding the fabric while stitching.
Vivo™ by Singer® Create & Repair Tutorial Video
- To view a video on using the Vivo™ by Singer® Create & Repair Machine and for helpful information on other sewing basics, click here.
by SINGER® (www.singerco.com)