Crafts ’n things Craft of the Day
Create beautiful and useful coasters using an embroidery machine and Five Star Fonts Embroidery Elegant Embossed Monogram Coasters Design set. Perfect for holiday hostess gifts and stocking stuffers.
Materials (for one coaster)
- Black 100% cotton fabric, 5”x5”, four
- Cotton batting, 5”x5”
- Lightweight vinyl, 5”x5”
- Cutaway embroidery stabilizer, to fit your embroidery hoop
- Silver embroidery thread
- Embroidery Machine
- Five Star Fonts Embroidery Elegant Embossed Monogram Coasters In the Hoop Embroidery Design Set
- Appliqué scissors
- Therm O Web Heat N Bond Ultrabond
- Sulky KK2000 Temporary Spray Adhesive
scissors, pen or pencil, ruler, bamboo skewer, masking tape, pressing cloth, iron and pressing surface
Embossed Monogram Coasters
(Note: Materials and instructions are for one coaster.)
1. Hoop stabilizer in embroidery hoop. Place hoop on machine and run color 1 which outlines coaster and stitches placement lines that will be used later in the construction. When color 1 finishes, remove hoop from machine and using pen and ruler, extend placement marks onto stabilizer as shown.
2. Lightly spray back of cotton batting with Sulky KK2000 temporary adhesive spray. Place batting in hoop with sticky side down; smooth with fingers to adhere batting to hoop. Place hoop on machine and run color 2 which tacks batting to stabilizer. Remove hoop when color 2 finishes and trim batting close to stitches using appliqué scissors as shown.
3. Lightly spray wrong side of one 5”x5” fabric piece. Place fabric in hoop, centered over batting square. Smooth fabric with fingers to adhere to batting.
4. Place hoop on machine and run color 3 which tacks coaster fabric to stabilizer. Run color 4 which stitches the embossed monogram letter. Remove hoop from machine when color 4 finishes.
5. Turn hoop to the back and place 5”x5” vinyl over outline of coaster; tape in place. On back of hoop, place 5”x5” cotton fabric centered over vinyl and tape in place.
6. Turn hoop back to the front. Fold two 5”x5” pieces of fabric in half with wrong sides together; press to form crease. (Note: The two pieces now measure 2-1/2”x5”.) Using placement marks on stabilizer, line up the creased edge of one back piece to the RIGHT side placement marks as shown with pins. Tape in center of design.
7. Place second folded 2-1/2”x5” fabric piece into hoop, lining up the creased edge with the placement lines on LEFT side of hoop. This piece of fabric will slightly overlap the first piece. Tape in center and over top and bottom pieces where fabrics overlap (as shown by pins). This will ensure presser foot doesn’t catch on overlapped pieces.
8. Place hoop on machine and run color 5 which stitches the back pieces to the front. Remove hoop from machine when color 5 finishes. Turn hoop to back and carefully trim away all excess fabric and vinyl from back of hoop.
9. Unhoop design. Using sharp scissors, carefully trim all around coaster outline, leaving about 1/4” seam allowance. Turn coaster right side out through flaps on back.
10. Use blunt end of bamboo skewer to poke out corners so they are smooth.
11. Turn coaster to back. Cut 1/2”x3-7/8” strip of Heat N Bond Ultra to seal opening on back of coaster.
12. With rough side facing up, place Heat N Bond strip on back of coaster just inside the opening of the back pieces. (Note: To avoid melting the vinyl inside the coaster, use a press cloth when pressing.) Press opening to adhere the Heat N Bond strip; allow to cool. When cool, carefully remove paper backing.
13. Turn coaster to front. Use press cloth to press coaster again. The back of the coaster should now be sealed. Press coaster around edges to ensure seams are flat.
by Five Star Fonts Embroidery (www.fivestarfonts.com)